So today I taught my first class. I made my lesson plan last night and I taught surface area and volume of a cylinder. I bought a can of tomato paste and a can of sardines on my way to school, the kids' moms use these things every day to cook with so I thought I'd bring the concept home. I went to class with a ruler and together we measured the radius and height and derived the formula. I felt like they really got it and I was very happy about it. As far as classroom management, everyone has their own style. Some people are too loose and get walked all over, some run their ship like a military style boot camp. I decided to make it my own and bring my sense of humor (and sarcasm) into the class. When one kid just wouldn't shut up I said "oh perfect! You in the back, since it seems you enjoy talking very much why dont you come up here with me and help me solve this problem. We can talk and explain to the class together." The look of 'deer in the headlights' was priceless. "yes... come on... I'm serious, come up here". And we started our problem.
Most of the kids who talk a lot also dont really understand the material, and my goal was to discipline him, not ridicule him. So when he got to the front we worked through the problem quietly together and I was very positive and helped him through it. When he couldnt do simple multiplication like 6x4 we worked through it in a way that he felt he'd accomplished it. Slowly talking behind us picked up. I looked back over my shoulder and it stopped. When it finally got loud again I turned off my smile, and soft tone and projected in an altogether different kind of smile "oh great! I hear some more volunteers!" the class instantly got quiet.
I'm going to love this job.
When we finally finished I thanked the student and told the class to give him a clap
Clap-Clap
Clap-clap-clap
clap! (They all clap in rhythm and unison.. its fun 1,2 / 1,2,3 /1)
A few more examples and a few more "volunteers" later and I was done on time and I feel it went very well. By the way, my Ghanaian counterpart who was observing really got a kick out of my management method. Cuz you gotta understand, they cane their students here in Ghana. They have a student fetch some branches in the morning and they whip the kids with it when they misbehave or get questions wrong. So no matter what we do, it's always better than the ghanaian alternative.
Dinner: I sat down and took the cover off my serving bowl and what did I find? Angels started singing and the room lit up. In front of me was a huge bowl of fried rice.
Hell. Yes.
I dont know how it got here, but it's a typical ghanaian dish and can I say (In Jon Stewart's "aaawkwaaaard" rhythm of voice) "aaawe sooomeee" ?
Def. on my learn-to-cook list
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hey G, Sounds like you are an awesome teacher! Keep it up.
ReplyDeleteI could def picture some teachers we had at UF when you were talking about the teaching types... :)